Walk a Mile in Her Shoes
October 28 @ 7:30 am - 10:00 am
The Hawai’i Island YWCA Walk a Mile in Her Shoes is a march that promotes an end to rape, sexual assault and family violence. The one-mile march features men in heels in an effort to raises money for Sexual Support Services. Starts at YWCA Ululani Campus. Pledge a donation and/or walk.
Walkers can participate in the contest for decorating shoes, most pledges and of course walking. It’s a fun filled event for the whole family with refreshments after the walk.
On Saturday, October 28, 2017, men from across our island will join us in alliance against rape, sexual assault and gender violence in our Annual Walk A Mile in Her Shoes Event. They will walk in women’s shoes through downtown Hilo to help raise public awareness and in celebration of the many survivors in our Big Island community.
For over 40 years, the YWCA of Hawai`i Island has been providing sexual assault support services for both victims and survivors; women, men, girls and boys ranging from ages ninety to less than a year old. Our free island-wide services include a 24-hour Sex Assault Crisis Hotline, a Medical Forensic Exam Program and counseling support for the survivor and family members. Last year alone we responded to over 2440 crisis and support calls from or on behalf of victims of sexual violence. We opened 329 cases, provided 1929 hours of therapy to 167 people and performed 47 sexual assault forensic medical exams.
Your support of this event is a great vote of confidence in our mission and will make it possible to continue offering these services and programs to the victims, survivors and family members. Listed below are the various support options available.
Walk, Alone or with your Team:
- $25 Fee Per Walker
- $100 in Pledges (Fee waived)
- $150 in Pledges (Fee waived and Free Souvenir T-Shirt)
- Gift Certificates
- Prizes & Awards for Teams/Individuals & “Judge’s Choice” Shoe
- $1000 – Mauna Kea: Large Sponsor Logo in event materials; 5×7 Foot Banner placement; Recognition at event, Contributor’s list and YWCA’s Annual Report
- $500 – Mauna Loa: Logo in event materials; Recognition at event, Contributor’s list and YWCA’s Annual Report
- $250 – Hualalai: Recognition in event materials, at event, Contributor’s list and YWCA’s Annual Report
- $100 – Kilauea: Recognition at event , Contributor’s list and YWCA’s Annual Report
The YWCA of Hawai`i Island thanks you for your time and consideration and look forward to your support to help make this walk a success.