HEALTHY FAMILIES HAWAI`I ISLAND PROGRAM
Healthy Families provides home visiting services to eligible families. Program staff partner with parents to address individual needs, set and support goals, build a home environment around the baby and connects parents with helpful services and information that supports learning, safety, and developmental stimulation. The services are free, voluntary, and confidential.
Although the primary focus of the Healthy Families Program is healthy children, the ultimate goals are:
- Eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
- Empower families to improve their lives and encourages them to raise healthy well-adjusted children who will become future leaders in our community.
- Support and strengthen families with voluntary screening, assessment, and referrals to Pregnant Women, Expectant Fathers, and Caregivers of Newborns residing in the East Hawaii area on the island of Hawai’i who meet the program eligibility criteria.
HEALTHY FAMILIES EQUALS A HEALTHY SOCIETY AND A HEALTHY WORLD!
Women hold a unique position in the family and by empowering them to make needed changes that will influence the lives of their children, we can change the face of poverty, despair, and negative domestic realities to ones of economic opportunity, hope, and positive domestic outcomes.
- Nurturing Parenting Curriculum
- Prenatal care planning and baby care basics
- Parenting techniques and information
- Goal setting and resource building
- Developmental activities and screening
- Support groups
There are no fees charged for this program.
This project is supported by the Hawaii State Department of Health (DOH), Maternal and Child Health Branch and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under D89MC28280 Affordable Care Act Maternal, Infant and Early Childhood Home Visiting Program for grant amount D89MC28280 Affordable Care Act Maternal, Infant and Early Childhood Home Visiting Program. This information or content and conclusions are those of the author and should not be construed as the official position of policy of, nor should any endorsements be inferred by DOH, HRSA, HHS or the U.S. Government.
The County of Hawaii, Non-Profit County Grant Fund
As a participant in a YWCA of Hawai’i Island program you have the following rights:
• The right to a humane service environment
• The right to services free from unlawful discrimination
• The right to be involved in your own service planning
• The right to confidentiality except when otherwise mandated by law
• The right to services which are least restrictive and most convenient
• The right to file a complaint if these rights are infringed
In order to benefit from the Healthy Families program, each family is asked to develop, in partnership with their home visitor, a Family Support Plan, which describes their goals, and to participate in regularly scheduled home visits in order to work towards those family goals.
Hawai’i Island – East Hawai’i
1382 Kilauea Avenue
Hilo, Hawaii 96720
Phone: (808) 961-3877 Ext. 101
How do I join?
Eligibility is determined with an interview prenatally or in the hospital at the time of birth.
To see if you qualify call
(808) 930-5727 or